Friday, January 6, 2017

New England Beginnings - Hopefully Will Bring Clarirty to our Past

I recently learned (from an editorial in Capecodtimesonline) of New England Beginnings, a new composite organization composed of historical groups, museums, etc.

The purpose of this group is to "Dispel persistent myths about the past by infusing actual historical research into the discussion." Hurrah!

I'm thrilled to hear this. As I talk to groups about my book, Female Adventurers: the women who helped colonize Massachusetts and Connecticut, I find there are many myths about Puritan women, their rights and lives that are far off the target. The biggest challenge to seeking the truth is that the first women (17th century Puritans) are lumped together with women of the 18th century under the heading colonial women. Life was extremely different in 1650 from that in 1750.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that 17th century women could not own property. Actually reading probate records and following a woman through her life, as I did in Female Adventurers, you see a clearer picture of life in the 17th century.

I look forward to hearing what this group is doing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment